May In Motion encourages use of alternative transportation
ITD employees are invited to participate in a month-long campaign to explore alternative commuting options in May.
The annual May In Motion event is organized by the Ada County Highway District and Commuteride to encourage drivers to use vanpools, carpools, public transportation or bicycles to commute between home and work.
May In Motion will begin with a kickoff party Tuesday from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Other events scheduled in May include:
May 4: Transportation fair, St. Luke’s Regional Medical Center courtyard, Boise, 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
May 5: Transportation fair, Idaho Power main plaza, 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
May 12: Transportation fair, Boise City, main plaza, 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
May 14, 15: Idaho Green Expo, Boise Center on the Grove
May 20: Bike train, Washington Elementary School to Idaho Power, 8:30 a.m.-10:30 a.m.
June 28: Transportation champions award luncheon, Stuekle Sky Center, 11:45 a.m.-1 p.m.
Top 10 reasons to participate in May in Motion 2011
10. You’re saving money. This week alone gas is $3.79 ... it’s only going to go up.
9. All 4-10 work schedules count towards participation. Just record your trips saved by working a 4-10 work schedule on our May In Motion Tracking form. Don't forget to turn it in. On average they save four days off the road each month.
8. Employees who walk to work enjoy the benefits of their beautiful commute giving them a chance to contemplate their approaching day while saving miles off the road and improving their health. Just think of all the parking fees they save.
7. Bikers who commute to work can show off their ride or stylish riding gear while improving their health and our air quality. Check out info on Boise Bike Week at http://boisebikeweek.org/.
6. Vanpoolers ride on the coolest ride in the Treasure Valley. Experience the luxury of relaxing on your ride to work instead of fighting traffic and congestion. Last year the vanpool fleet saved 17,675 trips off the valley roads during the month of May.
That represents 857 cars off the road. If you haven't tried vanpooling yet, call today to reserve your spot and find the nearest vanpool route for you. Don't forget the first month is free to try our service. If you start in May, not only is your first month free so is the fifth month. We still have room for more riders and routes so give us a call at 345-POOL.
5. You can, come hang out with Commuteride staff, vendors and everyone else in the valley that wants to celebrate May in Motion at four different events this year.
4. Be a part of the community that leads by example in Alternative transportation usage. Last year we had 68 Companies participate in May in Motion. Let's do it again in 2011. Help your company reach for Platinum level. Be a part of the solution to the Treasure Valley's pollution.
3. Need help finding a carpool partner? Try rideshareonline.com. It is easy to register and enter your commute information. Then select match and up will pop up anyone who matches your commute. You can contact them through e-mail or give them a call. And best of all, rideshareonline.com is absolutely free. If you don’t find a partner on the first try, keep checking. New people enter their information daily.
2. By participating in May in Motion 2011, you can brag to your co-workers that you are now a member of an elite club called “The Alternative Transportation Professionals Club” or ATPC for short. As an added bonus, you help your company earn valuable recognition within the community.
1. It makes you feel good plus … the many chances to win premium prizes … plus it helps the region’s air quality and congestion.
It is free to participate, so keep track of your alternative transportation trips. Watch for more May in Motion information coming soon.
Start looking now for your alternative transportation option for your commute.
Begin today and start enjoying the benefits of saving money and helping our environment. Visit the ACHD Commuteride’s website at commuteride.com. Questions can be e-mailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com