W-2 forms available online for faster,
more secure access by employees
ITD’s Human Resource Services received notification from the State Controller’s Office (SCO) regarding the availability of 2008 W-2 forms.
All current employees and those in “terminated” status after December 31, 2007, have the ability to access their W-2 form on the Web. Employees who have signed up to receive their W-2 forms online will be able to view and download and/or print their forms starting on January 8, 2009. Paper forms will be mailed to those who have not signed up to receive their W-2 forms online two weeks later, on January 22, 2009.
Important Reminder: Current and terminated employees who have elected to access their Form W-2 online in the past, will not receive a paper copy of their 2008 W-2 in the mail unless they choose to withdraw consent by the close of business on January 20, 2009.
Employees who have transferred from one state agency to another in 2008 will have to re-elect to access their form W-2 online (using their current agency log-on) or they will receive a paper copy in the mail.
Advantages of Online W-2
Beyond the obvious time advantage of having your W-2 form delivered electronically, there are several other key benefits to the Online W-2 program:
• Greater security and protection from identity theft – Since your W-2 form can only be accessed through our secure internet site, there is no risk of your paper form being lost or misdelivered by the postal carriers or stolen by a mail thief.
• Online storage – Your W-2 form will be stored online for easy access in the future. In fact, if you choose to view your W-2 online, you will be able to view your current year’s W-2 and up to four years of past W-2s.
• Easier online tax filing – The state of Idaho has partnered with Turbo Tax to enable you to automatically download your W-2 into the popular tax preparation software package.
• No more lost forms – If you do not sign up to receive your W-2 online and you lose your paper form, you will have to wait until February 1, 2009, for your request for a replacement form to be processed.
• Additionally, you will be charged a $5 fee to have a duplicate W-2 form printed.
Signing up to receive your W-2 form online is simple:
From the SCO Application log-in page (same page used for online paystubs, etc.) enter your secure log-on information (username, agency code, and password) and click the “LOGON” button. Log into your account just as you would to view your online paystub by going to the SCO Applications log-in page and entering your username and password. The address of this log-in page is:
Important deadline: If you do not want to receive your W-2 form through the mail, you must sign up for this free online service by the close of business on January 20, 2009. Otherwise, your W-2 form will be mailed to you.