- Manages ITD’s Rail Safety Programs funded with federal-aid and state funds from the State Railroad Grade Crossing Protection Fund.
- Partners with railroad owners and Idaho Operation Lifesaver in the goal to increase safety at rail-public highway crossings.
- Assists Districts and local road entities in dealing with railroad owners on projects that encroach onto railroad property and/or operations.
- Supports Districts with composing and reviewing contract documents including railroad construction and maintenance agreements.
- Provides subject matter expertise to Districts and other entities as requested. This can include payments for project construction costs, resolving design/construction issues, and issuance of Utility Change Orders during project construction.
- Manages statewide computerized database programs (Utility/Railroad Agreement Tracking System), and rail-highway crossing inventory records as required by the Federal Railroad Administration and/or Federal Highway Administration.
- Reports to the Federal Highway Administration, Federal Railroad Administration and ITD’s Board as required or requested.
- Provides training to ITD’s personnel and other entities involved with railroad safety projects or rail-highway crossing inventory procedures.
- Reviews and updates railroad policies and legislative rules.
- Researches and provides information for incorporating innovative railroad technologies and techniques.
- Provides information to assist ITD attorneys against lawsuits involving public rail-highway crossings.
ITD Research Project, Project Manager
RP #223 — IdaShield Program