DMV HomeOn-Line ServicesNew to Idaho?Driver ServicesVehicle ServicesMotor Carrier Services / Ports of EntryDriver Licensing OfficesVehicle Licensing OfficesOther State DMV LinksInformation for Idaho Military PersonnelManualsLinksRecent LegislationIdaho Motor Vehicle LawsAdmin. RulesVoter RegistrationDMV Historytrucking.idaho.govContact Us
Central Issuance of Idaho Driver Licenses and Identification Cards
Idaho driver’s licenses and identification (ID) cards are getting a new look and state-of-the-art security features to help protect drivers and ID card holders from identity theft and fraud.
The cards will also be produced in a new way. Idaho is changing from an “over-the-counter” system to a “central issuance” system. Applicants leave the county driver licensing office with a temporary card, valid for 30 days. This temporary card is printed on special security paper with a black and white digital image.
The new plastic cards are produced at a secure, central facility and mailed to the customer within about 10 business days. The card is mailed in an unmarked envelope, much the same way credit cards or passports are mailed.
Previously issued Idaho licenses and IDs remain valid until their expiration date.
Central issuance will result in system efficiencies and cost savings compared to issuing cards over-the-counter. There is no additional cost to customers.
The new cards are made from a more durable plastic than was previously available. And, the format and production process follows recommended best practices.
What to Expect
- There will be a change in the way licenses and ID cards look and the way they are produced.
- When applying for a driver’s license or ID card, you will receive a temporary paper document issued for driving and identity purposes until the permanent card arrives in the mail.
- The temporary document includes your photo and the same information included on the permanent card.
- The new card arrives in the mail within about 10 business days. It will be important to provide a correct mailing address.
- Current Idaho licenses and ID cards remain valid until it is time to renew.
The move to Central Issuance Production will ...
...which all results in citizen safety, national security, and improved service.
- Help reduce identity theft and fraud
- Speed applicant processing time
- Increase the security and quality of Idaho cards and production processes
- Reduce production costs