Idaho Transportation Department
About Us Travel Services DMV Get Involved News and Information
Printer-Friendly Version
ITD Home News and Info Contact Us

DMV HomeOn-Line ServicesNew to Idaho?Driver ServicesVehicle ServicesMotor Carrier Services / Ports of EntryDriver Licensing OfficesVehicle Licensing OfficesCounty WebsitesOther State DMV LinksInformation for Idaho Military PersonnelManualsLinksRecent LegislationIdaho Motor Vehicle LawsAdmin. RulesVoter RegistrationDMV Historytrucking.idaho.govContact Us


There are two primary types of vehicle registrations for Idaho: (1) Full Fee, and (2) International Registration Plan (IRP).

1. Full Fee Registration (Idaho and non-Idaho)

Full Fee is a type of motor carrier registration or license for which Idaho's "full" registration fees are charged in accordance with Section 49-434, Idaho Code. Fees (charged on a January-to-December basis) are reduced monthly by 1/12 for carriers who license later in the calendar year.

Any commercial carrier may fully register (Full Fee) vehicles over 8,000 pounds to operate in Idaho, including those not eligible for other types of licensing and those who do not want to trip permit or have met the limit of three permits per vehicle per calendar year.

Commercial vehicles weighing from 8,001 through 26,000 pounds can be licensed through Commercial Vehicle Services (CVS) or through the local county assessor's office. Idaho-based vehicles over 26,000 pounds and non-Idaho-based vehicles regardless of weight must be licensed through the CVS.

Idaho farm vehicles through 60,000 pounds must license at a county assessor's office. Idaho farm vehicles over 60,000 pounds and those from out-of-state must be licensed through the CVS.

2. International Registration Plan (IRP)

This is a cooperative agreement that includes forty-eight states, ten Canadian provinces, and the District of Columbia. Carriers may register for all jurisdictions in which they travel and pay a portion of each jurisdiction's fees based on the miles traveled. Idaho-based carriers are generally eligible to register under the IRP if they:

  • operate in two or more IRP jurisdictions
  • have an Idaho business location


The Motor Carrier issues various types of permits and registration documents depending on the carrier's type of operation.

Counter Service

Counter service hours are Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Mountain Time. Some IRP transactions can take several hours, so it's recommended that you arrive early in the day. Appointments can be scheduled with the person who handles your account by calling 208-334-8611. The following services are provided at the counter:

  • All motor-carrier registration transactions can be completed at the counter. However, during peak renewal times, it may not be possible to process your renewal application while you wait. It is important to file renewal applications within the designated time frames.
  • Questions can be answered and assistance given to help with completing applications and meeting various motor carrier registration-related requirements.
  • Federal Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT) transactions can be completed by carriers who have no current HVUT filing.
  • Idaho IFTA (International Fuel Tax Agreement) licenses can be obtained.
  • Trip permits for registration or fuel can be obtained.
  • Hazardous Materials Endorsements can be obtained.
  • Hazardous Waste Permits can be obtained.
  • Oversize and overweight permits can be obtained.
  • Titles can be obtained for commercial vehicles if done in conjunction with the registration.
  • Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) receipts can be obtained.
  • USDOT numbers can be obtained and updates to the USDOT record can be completed.

Fax Service

Paperwork may be faxed directly to Boise for any transaction. Our fax machine accepts paperwork 24-hours per day. Paperwork received will normally be processed within two business days.

Please include a cover sheet explaining what you want done, method of payment, and whether a Temporary Vehicle Clearance (TVC) will be needed. There is a $10.00 charge ($18.00 effective 1/1/2010) for each TVC in addition to the registration and administration fees. If all required information is included and the fees are paid, the identification can be ready for pick-up at the counter, can be mailed, or a TVC can be faxed.

The fax number for carrier use is (208) 334-2006.

Fax Service via Ports of Entry

Applications completed at Ports of Entry are faxed directly from the Port to Boise. A Motor Carrier employee verifies the prerequisites and processes the application while you wait at the port. A TVC and the amount due are faxed to the port. The port employee collects the fees due and releases the TVC. When fees are transmitted from the port, permanent identification is mailed if all information is complete. Port of Entry licensing services are available Monday through Friday, 7:30 to 4:00 Mountain Time. Renewals (any vehicle registered to the same account the previous registration year) or renewal-related information requested by our office can be submitted or processed through the Inkom and Lewiston Ports of Entry for IRP only. All Ports of Entry can process Full Fee registration renewals. A maximum number of vehicles processed per company, per day, via port fax may be set depending on time allowed and customer volume.

Fax Service via County Assessor's Office

The county licensing offices in Salmon and Council can accept commercial vehicle applications, including IRP, through the county location for forwarding via fax to Boise. Applications are processed Monday through Friday, 7:30 to 4:00 Mountain Time. Payment can be made by check, money order, or credit card. Cash cannot be accepted. Similar services may become available in other counties depending on the public's interest in and need for such a program.

Mail Service

Any type of transaction can be completed by mail. Incomplete applications are returned or held. Motor Carrier will attempt to reach the customer by telephone, fax, e-mail or mail. An application is not considered "received" until it is correct.

Phone Service

The Motor Carrier phones are answered from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mountain Time. Employees can answer questions and provide information on registration and related requirements. We also accept credit card or verifiable check information for payments of billings. (See the payment section below.) Motor Carrier accepts registration information over the phone for some types of transactions. This normally includes changes to existing registrations where no additional paperwork is needed. When you call for information, ask if your transaction qualifies for this service.


Full Fee Registration Application - payment must accompany the application.

IRP Application - Billings are issued due to the complex calculations of the jurisdictions' fees.

Payment may be by cash, credit card** (MasterCard or Visa), or check, including verifiable checks such as Greenback, ComCheck, T-chek, or CCIS. If paying by credit card, please include the credit card number and expiration date on a separate sheet of paper that can later be destroyed. Personal checks require a check guarantee card.

** Fees for transactions can be paid with a credit card up to a maximum of $10,000. And by check up to a maximum of $100,000. Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) is required for payments exceeding $100,000. Call if you have questions.



When an application for registration is received on an interstate power unit over 26,000 pounds that operates on diesel, propane, or natural gas, an IFTA permit is required or fuel trip permits will be required for Idaho and each jurisdiction in which the vehicle operates. If a carrier is leased to another company and is using that company's permit, or the special fuels permit is under the owner's name and not the company's, a copy of the permit should be provided with the application for registration.

We check IFTA permit information via several sources, including the Tax Commission computer records.

For more information on fuel requirements, contact the Idaho State Tax Commission at (208) 334-8692.

Carriers can file IFTA quarterly tax returns electronically through the Idaho State Tax Commission at

Federal Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT)

Federal law requires that on vehicles with 55,000 pounds or more combined gross weight, proof of filing of the HVUT for the current tax period must accompany the application for registration. Proof consists of:

1. A photocopy of Form 2290 Schedule 1 (Exhibit 1) listing the complete vehicle identification number (VIN) and reflecting the receipt stamp by the IRS or e-file watermark, or

2. A photocopy of a non-receipt stamped Form 2290 Schedule 1 along with photocopies of the front and back of the cancelled check.

3. A completed Form 2290, with payment if applicable, payable to the “U.S. Treasury” and submitted to Motor Carrier for forwarding to the IRS. Only current-year tax forms can be submitted, prior year unpaid taxes must be filed directly with the IRS.

Only number 1 or 3 above will apply if the filing was in the "suspended" category. In lieu of the Form 2290 Schedule 1, we will accept:

  • A dated bill of sale if purchased within 60 days of the vehicle registration date.
  • A title application showing date of purchase if purchased within 60 days of the vehicle registration date.

The tax period for the HVUT is July 1 through June 30. Between July 1 and September 30, proof for the current or prior tax year is accepted. After September 30, the current tax year HVUT is required.

Filings of 25 or more vehicles must be done online, through an IRS approved company. More information on HVUT requirements and online filing is available at or by contacting Taxpayer Assistance at 1-800-829-1040.


To ensure that a person or company has the legal right to register a vehicle, titles are checked on vehicles being registered and on account name changes. We must be able to tie the name on the title to the name that will appear on the registration. For example, if the name on the title reads "John Doe" and the application for registration reads "John Doe Trucking," we can tie the two names together. If the name on the title shows "John Doe" and the application for registration reads "ABC Trucking," we do not know who actually owns the vehicle and will request additional information. The titled owner's name will appear on the vehicle registration in the "owner" box. This name will change only when a title change is done and Motor Carrier is notified of the change.

Owner-operators who lease their vehicles (with driver) to Idaho companies do not have to show the lessee's name on the title. If the vehicle is titled in Idaho, the title should show the owner-operator as owner.

With proof of ownership (bill of sale dated within the last 30 days), we will issue a TVC valid for 45 days or until the end of the registration year (if less than 45 days) in lieu of a registration. License plates cannot be released until proof of Idaho title application is submitted for Idaho-based vehicles.

(For more information, contact the Titles Unit (208) 334-8663 or contact a local County Assessor's Office.)

Safety and Insurance Fee

Intrastate power units hauling non-exempt commodities or passengers for hire, or hauling hazardous materials must have their insurance document on file with Motor Carrier. A Safety and Insurance Fee of $2.00 per power unit ($3.00 effective 1/1/2010) is charged at the time of registration. For more information, contact Motor Carrier at (208) 334-8611.

For additional information, contact Commercial Vehicle Services via e-mail at:

Commercial Vehicle Services - Motor Carrier Mailing Address:
PO Box 7129, Boise, ID 83707-1129
Phone: (208) 334-8611

Page Last Modified: 10/28/2009 4:26:35 PM

Division of Motor Vehicles / Commercial Vehicle Services
Ports of Entry- (208) 334-8688
Motor Carrier- (208) 334-8611
Overlegal Permits- (208) 334-8420
or 1-800-662-7133

About Us | Traveler Services | DMV | Projects | News And Info | Reader-Friendly | Privacy & Security
Idaho Transportation Department
3311 W. State Street · P.O. Box 7129
Boise, ID 83707-1129